Sound Tracks

I listen to a great deal of music when I’m working. This is not uncommon for a lot of artists, and there are some people who say that you shouldn’t, as it’s a distraction from the art and doesn’t help you focus wholly on the work. I disagree on this, and feel that the music helps put you in the right mindset and helps tune out all the distractions. However, unlike a lot of people I listen to a wide range of music while working. Some of it is very fitting for Finder’s and other stuff not so much. And I’m thinking of putting together a playlist that is FK specific. So! What do you guys think? What tracks should be on the “official” Finder’s Keepers score?

92 Responses to “Sound Tracks”

1. Angela says:

“The Haunting” by Kamelot is a must! It has an epic feel and a good energy. Also “Die Another Day” by Madonna. It could be Cailyn and Card’s personal anthem. Maybe it’s just me. X3 There’s my two cents for now… (for now)

2. Firseal says:

I have somewhat ecclectic music tastes, so none of these may fit. On the other hand – what the hey.
    Prince – ’7′
    Boys Like Girls – “The Great Escape”
    Anything by Yuki Kajiura. Though, if you prefer to understand your music, stick to the English songs. But ‘To Nowhere’, ‘Fiction’, ‘Vanity’, ‘Fake Wings’, ‘Key to the Twilight’, ‘Cynical World’… all good stuff there.
    Escape Club – ‘I’ll Be There’
    ‘Man in Motion’ from St. Elmo’s Fire
    ‘Ride of the Valkyries’.
    Um. I think that’s enough for now…

3. Senso says:

I also listen to a wide variety f music.. tough these kind of came to mind when thinking back through the comic:

Trans Siberian Orchestra (or Vangelis) – Carmina Burana
    Dropkick Murphys – Warrior’s Code
    Pantera – Cowboys from Hell and/or Walk
    Muse – Knights of Cydonia
    Steppenwolf – Magic Carpet Ride (though I prefer the Crystal Method remix)

I’ll think of more later…

4. Andrew says:

Definitely going to say some muse, some Apocalyptica might be in order as well in earlier chapters. And to finish it off I say Daft Punk and Pink.

5. Mark says:

“Break” by three days grace is my song of choice at the moment. Other songs that I tend to like over and over (and over!) are:

“In the Shadows” – The Rasmus
    “Memories” – Within Temptation
    “Sun Goes Down” – David Jordan
    “Coming Undone” – Korn
    “In and Out of Love” – Armin van Buuren and Sharon den Adel
    “New Divide” – Linkin Park (Check out the FANTASTIC video game montage video my buddy made for this song on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J330K-Kc9sU )
    “They” “24″ and “Closer” – Jem

That’s probably enough for now.

So how about you? What are you listening to?

6. Leslie says:

I can’t really say that much of song-specific comes to mind as I read your comic, but I would be quite interested in finding out more about what you listen to as you work–I tend to listen to the Halo Soundtracks, some Poe and Garbage [not much, though, because I am a sensitive girl blah blah blah], Kansas and America, and then I’ll probably start working with my new CD–Distant Worlds, a Final Fantasy Orchestral collection–very soon. I just have to familiarize myself a bit more.

Those are the only “group” and “CD” things I can honestly think of. Like you, I have a fair variety–sort of a list of CDs and random songs I set aside to play on random while writing.

7. Tathos says:

I hate to be the only negative one on here, but I have to say that it might not be such a good idea. I mean, the idea of listening to music while reading a comic is great. It gives a whole new dimension to the art and enhances it, sure. But, making a playlist limits it. As per the many people that have already posted, everyone’s idea of what should play where is very diverse.

In conclusion, all I’m trying to say is that while music is great, don’t chain it down.

8. Garth says:

I listen to a lot of things, everything from Sinatra to Garbage, from Rise Against to Hootie & the Blowfish, from Garth Brooks to Weird Al. It’s one of the reasons I’m trying to focus down to a good “working list.” I’ll of course post it when I have it together.

@ Tathos. I have no inclination to adding a soundtrack to the site. I find music on websites to be annoying at best. This is more of a thing to put me in the right mood/mindset for drawing/writing the comic. I’ll of course post the list for everyone else to check out, but I won’t be forcing any of the music upon my readers.

9. G Battle says:

Black Violin is something I particularly like working to. But then, I’m fascinated with electric violins..

10. Stigma IX says:

“This is Gallifrey, our Childhood, our Home.” -Murray Gold
    “Everything Changes” -Murray Gold/Ben Foster
    “The Plot” – Murray Gold/Ben Foster

Definitely good music for dealing with supernatural things in FK

11. Alakhan says:

Bonnie Lass of Anglesey, by Tempest. Finder’s Keepers was my first thought on hearing this song. Just has the right tone, I think.

12. A more different Leslie says:

Tathos, I don’t think it’s chaining music down to admit that some songs are better at putting people in a productive, creative mood than others. Every song has different effects on people… and that’s why I’m not suggesting anything myself. Just wishing you luck…… and also wondering quietly–and not at all angrily–to myself if there will ever be 2 updates a week again…. because I just get so darn curious and excited about the story..

Anyways, I’m out. :) Love the comic so far.

13. AndyT13 says:

I would think Tori Amos would be quite suitable. She has that whole faerie thing going. Anything from Venus Orbiting or Boys For Pele would be cool.

14. Seth says:

I’m unsure about recommending specific tracks, but I can recommend some albums.

Black Symphony – Within Temptation
    New Shores – Lunatica
    Beyond Infinity – Lunatica
    Once – Nightwish
    Dark Passion Play – Nightwish
    Lucidity – Delain
    The Score – Epica

15. Roy Burrell says:

How’s it going! Just wanted to say you built a super little site and I want you are aware how sweet it looks. Will return often.

16. This is something which i dont usually do, but what the hell i loved your post so i want to say thank you. You have gotten a loyal reader.

17. Elle McBeth says:

I couldn’t agree more, especially that part at the end!!!

18. Roosevelt Diperna says:

ou need to ensure that AdSense is optimized on the page so that people will actually click your ads. Google provides a nice “heatmap” for this so that you can implement Google ads in such a way that people will click on them.

The above four steps are what distinguishes the AdSense successes from the failures. Now, you know what to do. Which catego

19. Kia Poole says:

ham WatsonPostsWebsiteEmailRSSBy Graham Watson | Dr. SaturdayThu, Sep 6, 2012 9:24 PM EDT**WARNING** Video contains graphic images at 2:00Two years ago, Chad Jones’ life was changed forever.The former LSU defensive back, who was drafted in the third round by the New York Giants, was in a car accident where his SUV smashed into a pole, caving in the entire dr