Madness Returns

So, those of you who know me (or just read this blog even), know I’ve been looking forward to the sequel to American McGee’s Alice for … well, since the first game.  But I only became aware that they were actually making it a year or two ago.  If you think my Wonderland obsessed self hasn’t played through it by now you should know better.

Alice: Madness Returns is everything I wanted the game to be.  It’s a phenomenal sequel.  It stays very true to the original, taking a lot of notes from the original designs and levels, but strikes out into its own territory.  It improves on the original game in terms of gameplay and expands the world and story set down previously.  It’s basically everything you loved about American McGee’s Alice but with improved graphics and gameplay.

Now, while the graphics definitely were a step up they still retained a lot of the same styling and look of the original game, and working with the Unreal engine the overall look and feel hasn’t changed much.

Gameplay wise, the combat has been massively upgraded and is a lot more fun and visually exciting than the first game.  Cutting down the number of weapons from 10 to 4 makes alternating between them much easier and streamlined and thus better combat.  Interestingly enough there aren’t any boss battles.  In McGee’s Alice every world ended in a big boss battle with one of Wonderland’s iconic characters:  the Dutchess, the Mad Hatter, the Jabberwocky, the Queen of Hearts, etc.  In Madness Returns, each world has a very difficult arena battle before meeting the boss and then dialogue happens and story progresses, but there aren’t boss battles.

Which kinda surprised me.  There were more than a few threads that were left hanging:  characters which I wasn’t sure what happened to after their “defeat.”  And as the game progressed, I became increasingly unsure what was “real” what was “wonderland” and what were “memories.”  I think that was intentional, especially considering the ending, but a little bit of clarity would have been appreciated.  I also missed some characters.  While many of the old characters and villains returned there were a few I didn’t see: namely the Jabberwocky and the White Rabbit.  Ok, I saw the white rabbit, but not in story context.  I get the lack of the Jabberwocky, he was the big baddie in the first game and you killed him pretty dead, so I get that.

Speaking of the ending:  thank you.  For once a game/movie that has an ending that is satisfying enough to be a stand-alone ending but open enough to invite a sequel.  I’m very sick of games/movies that just stop in the middle of a WTF moment (I’m looking at you Assassin’s Creed you amazing game you) because they’re swinging for a trilogy.  I’d love to see EA and Spicey Horse come back for two more games after Madness Returns, but if it doesn’t happen this game stands on its own.  The madness is back in spades.

16 Responses to “Madness Returns”

1. Arcnes says:

I couldn’t agree more. I haven’t finished through a careful planned savoring of the game. I do love what I have seen so far though.

2. Lonely says:

I have to wait three weeks to rent it for free from work, so I’m waiting until then. I just recently started the first one and aside from “aghghghsagh mouse” its pretty damn good despite its age.

3. Tashta says:

Thank you so much for that complex review! I’ve been waiting for years for them to come up with something new. I thought for several years they were going to make a similar game based on the world of Oz but that seemed to disappear into the ether. That you’ve said the new Alice is as good and in some ways better than the last makes me a happy girl. I’ll be picking it up this afternoon!

4. Kimmy says:

tis good! Have you played the Thief series?
    “robbin’ the cradle” is still the best damn mission EVER.

5. Troy Hannes says:

Try to analyze the javascript which loads the link, maybe you can find a way of getting the link without running the actual script.. . (I do not know how to run javascript in Java nor if its even possible)

6. Bonjour ! Il s’agit vraiment d’ un extraordinaire article, je te félicite de l’avoir partagé. Pour te remercier, je te donne une ligne pour pouvoir exécuter du card sharing : F: ned322eFZVCb ned322eVSVXb 2 0 0 0:0:1,100:3317 #neder 29/08/2010 . C’est cadeau, alors n’hésites pas à l’utiliser et la partager. Bonne journée

7. Thanks for this wonderful article. One more thing to mention is that almost all digital cameras arrive equipped with any zoom lens that allows more or less of a scene being included simply by ‘zooming’ in and out. All these changes in the aim length tend to be reflected inside viewfinder and on significant display screen at the back of this camera.

8. Kay Tarpley says:

Sketches are truly nice source of education instead of passage, its my know-how, what would you say?t2015wiqp…

9. Hola señores, excelente aportacion amigo Muchas gracias de verdad

10. spam scammer says:

Hmm it appears like your site ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog. I too am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still new to the whole thing. Do you have any suggestions for newbie blog writers? I’d really appreciate it.|

11. “Damn,” I groaned, my dick felt even harder. “I’m going to break in my sister’s ass.”

12. “Guilty,” I groaned, loving Pam’s tight, petite body and slanted eyes. She was Japanese but born in America. Silky, black hair, almond eyes, delicate face.

13. And that made my pussy tingle. I rubbed myself again, closing my eyes and—

14. Layne Kogen says:

certainly like your web site but you have to take a look at the spelling on quite a few of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling problems and I in finding it very bothersome to inform the reality nevertheless I’ll definitely come back again.

15. I am writing to let you know of the outstanding encounter my wife’s daughter gained reading through yuor web blog. She came to find some things, which included what it is like to possess an ideal helping mindset to make folks with ease master specified problematic topics. You undoubtedly exceeded my desires. Many thanks for delivering such priceless, healthy, informative as well as cool thoughts on the topic to Kate.