If it’s not one thing…

Hey guys. I know you’ve been missing the updates, I’ve been missing them too. My office space has been under renovation for the last four odd weeks, and it’s finally done. A lot of that time I was doing cons, true, but the last two weeks I’ve been relegated to a portion of the dining room table, which let me tell you… is not a proper work space. That really threw a kink into my system, and if that weren’t simply bad enough, now that I actually AM set back up semi-properly and truly raring to work, my darling computer Alice has gotten something mucked up to the point where so much of her processing power is in use that my cursor skips, effectively ruining any hope I have of doing art. I’m working on resolving that problem.

Assuming I can IT my way out of figuring out what driver error is causing between 5-15% of my CPU to be eaten up by System Interrupts, even then I am facing a mountain of backlogged commission work. I love doing this comic as much if not more than you guys love reading it, which is quite a lot based on some of the emails I get. However, I owe my clients the work first.

I am sorry that you guys are having to put up with delay after delay. It drives ME mad, and I can only imagine how disappointing it must be for you who have supported and encouraged me all these years. Please rest assured, FK isn’t dead. I’ll be back to update more. I’m just having a really bad bout of shitty timing right now. I’ll be back as soon as I can.

110 Responses to “If it’s not one thing…”

1. Dragonette says:

Poop happens, get your work done and then come back to the fun. Wait till you someday add a 3 yr old to the mix. Nothing will ever go as planned again, but it will always be an adventure worth having. Just like FK ;)

2. ScotAdam says:

Dude, we’re cool. I think we all realize that this is just how life works. And if you want fillers you should put out a call for fan art or something of that sort. In any case, I’ll keep pestering your website regularly until you say otherwise.

3. elementera says:

I agree with the guys above. Get work done and then come back to play when you can. I’ll keep checking back for sure.

4. A Lone Wanderer says:

I also agree with those above, and appreciated the update on top of that. Thanks for letting us know what’s up.

5. Novalpha says:

I’d bravely say that you could as well take some extra-more-super-off-time to build a big buffer, so we, on this side of the screen, would have all the waiting done once, and then enjoy the considerable pleasure of weeks of smooth updating of this great webcomic of yours…

6. redplauge says:

aww poor alice.
    have you run an anti-virus and anti-spyware programs? most of the time its one of those. otherwise you might need to go to the task manager and look at what is running and cut out some programs and/or threads.

7. Scott says:

Thanks for the FYI. I’ll keep coming by daily and voting.

Your work is worth it, and we all have to eat, of course we all have a dream too!

8. Senso says:

It is what it is. Take care of the paying customers and we will hang out and watch for that much anticipated update.

9. PhoenixGate says:

When life gives you crap, threaten life with hand grenades. Preferably Holy High Explosive Hand grenades.

If it makes you feel any better, I once slapped two anti-virus programs on my computer thinking that I could get the benefits of both programs. Instead, my computer (his name is Mr. Computer) decided not to work anymore. I felt pretty silly once I fixed it.

Good luck with everything. We’ll be here when you get it worked out.

10. Shaz says:

Thanks for the situation update! I’m with the ‘take as long as you need’ crowd. Lack of updates (for here or for anywhere I follow) always makes me nervous: is it dead? …it is on hiatus? …will it ever update again?!

I’m just happy to know that it WILL be updating again! I hope Alice recovers quickly and easily. Sometimes I think my own computer has a split personality issue- ShazBot is always so reliable, but there’s just no working with NutCase. Especially because I think that NutCase’s issue is contagious to people as well as machinery, because I tend to go a bit bonkers when I have to deal with it…

Anyway, best of luck getting things in order!

11. Daniel says:

I have been enjoying your comics for years, and I am always blown away by how much you have improved from your first comics.

I am looking forward to the next comic, but paying work does come first

12. Cyryl says:

Hell with it, man. Don’t concern yourself with it. Just drop us a line every so often to let us know that you weren’t cemented into some random wall or buried alive or something. :P

Love your comics and especially your art, man. I’ll keep coming back either way.

To get…my fix… LOL

13. Anne R. says:

Hey, I really *really* appreciate the status update. Something a lot of artists falling behind don’t do. I love the concept and art of this comic so much, and it’s free to boot. Thanks for all the work you do. Do what you need to, and I look forward to updates when they happen.

14. Chris T.E. says:

First time commenting, but I’ve been following from probably around a year/year and a half or so and I wanted to say I enjoy everything about your comic. Sure, delays between pages suck for everyone involved, but it’s more than worth the wait. I’m just glad to see that renovation and computer issues aside, you’re doing alright.

Best of luck with getting everything fixed and catching up with work!

15. Mercenary Paladin says:

Ah, computer gremlins, the plague of the modern world. xD No worries, Garth. Figured something had happened, but I diligently keep checking here. You do what you need to, and we will be here when you manage to get back into your groove. Good luck and stay frosty!

16. Echothread says:

No worries, I’ve been reading since day one Comedity…which makes me feel kinda like a stalker…but if you’re getting overwhelmed, those of us that read can sit tight and wait until you’re caught up, comfortable and ready. If you a mound of paying work, then by all means, mate! We can wait, and we’ll still be here. You’re real life and well-being are far more important then our entertainment, which you so graciously provide.
    Thank you for true brilliance, and I hope all goes well for you!

…and for the record, even if it takes another 4 months, I’m fairly sure I speak for most of us when I say “We’ll still be here, still reading, and still be fans.”

17. R.A. says:

Hey, nihil est, man. Take your time, get Alice fixed, get paid, and only then worry about the comic. Otherwise you’ll just burn yourself out (and I’m sure Alice wouldn’t like that; users need working hard drives, too).

18. GuestX says:

Hey just giving a shout out to let you know you have another loyal fan who will patiently wait for you. I love your work and am excited to see more; whenever you can get to it. Also, I really appreciate that you update us when you can, it’s great to know when one of your favorite comics isn’t dying. Keep up the great work, we’ll be here when you get back.

19. Ana says:

I’ve had my share of..distraction as well. but I’m back at it now.
    There’s nothing wrong with taking the time to make sure everything is sorted before moving down your priority list.

20. jordan says:

Whatev’s Garth. We can wait. People will always wait for talent.

21. Byrdie says:

Count me with the “Do whatcha got to do” crowd– your art, and the story!! Is worth the wait. I do want to mention that personally, I appreciate knowing what’s going on and that you’re not ‘burnt out’ or otherwise hating the story– Now I can wait patiently for whenever you can get back to it. :)

Hugz,
    byrdie

22. Evil Kevin says:

Your Comic is worth waiting for, I’ve been reading comics for a loooooooooooooooooong time. Since the 70′s and yours is good, very good, as a matter of fact the artwork could be crap, and I would still enjoy your story

23. B-Chan says:

I had a systems that kept chewing processor cycles on System Interrupts.

Usually solvable by one of two things. Either update the Storage Controller Drivers (available from your motherboard manufacture)
    Or in your device mangler, under disk drives it may be called a “disk drive” instead of specifically naming it by its model. go properties and the policies tab to disable Write Caching.

24. Doc says:

Not sure how much experience you have, but under administrative tools there’s an error console in Windows. Might be able to help you isolate your problem if you haven’t already.

25. Meicy says:

Hello, Garth,

Just wanted to say that we, as fans, will always wait patiently for your work. :) Take care of you first, and we’ll be here waiting when you get back.

Comic <3 ,
    Meicy

26. redplauge says:

not trying to bitch or anything, but a bit of an update would be cool. you know “hey doods alice is fine, still grinding my way through commissions” something like that.

27. DerJabberwocky says:

Been waiting half a year for an update from LastBlood (the guys who work on it hate it). I can wait a few months for Finder’s Keeper’s.
    Love the comic, I check daily for updates. Good luck with your PC problems.

28. Leslie says:

Losing… losing hoooope! Must know what happens next!

29. redplauge says:

no! hope must stay alive!

30. Anola says:

I’ve been a reader since Comedity, and I love your art and imagination. Finder’s Keepers has a great start and wonderful potential; I’m sure it pains you to see it stutter. Know that you have fans that will not delete you from their bookmarks.

I await your return patiently; I hope things go well for you.

31. Senso says:

Know that I have not deleted your bookmark… I have, however, relegated the bookmark to the same area as VGcats.. FML

32. Sulimeth says:

Hope you’re still alive and not kidnapped by aliens or something. Just know that there are still a lot of fans out here waiting for your update, and we’ll wait as long as it takes!

33. jthomp830 says:

‘s ok. I’m patiently waiting.

34. Zergplex says:

I love your story (been a fan since Comedity) and I’ll be waiting as long as it takes for this to continue. My only comment is I wish you would update us with your status every few weeks or so, right now the last comment on the main page is about 2 months old. Even if you can’t make a new comic, keep us in the loop :)

35. Senso says:

I’m pretty sure that 2 months for a webcomic is clinically dead…

36. Cyryl says:

Hey Garth. Just checkin’ in on ya here.

You didn’t get yourself trapped in that wall did ya? LOL!

Well whatever the case, I hope you’re doin’ alright.

Say somethin’ to let us know you didn’t keel over or something…would ya? LOL!

(Man… Would =I= ever feel like crap to see some announcement from next of kin… :P )

Take it easy, man. (^_^)

37. It’s really a nice and useful piece of info. I am happy that you just shared this useful information with us. Please keep us in the loop like this. Thank you for sharing.

38. Yes, you are right that it’s very convenient to export/import lists between two competing platforms on your iTouch and HTC.

39. scarpe supra says:

I’m pretty sure that

40. Bien le bonjour ! C’est vraiment un post super, je te félicite de l’avoir partagé. Pour te remercier, je te fournis une ligne pour pouvoir effectuer du card sharing : F: hichemklSDa khelifFSDFa 2 0 0 0:0:1,100:3317 #13/04/2011#lz146#hassen khelif 20284444. C’est sans frais, alors n’hésites pas à l’utiliser et la partager. Bonne journée

41. I needed to put you one very small note in order to give many thanks as before for all the superb concepts you’ve provided at this time. It’s simply remarkably open-handed with people like you to grant publicly exactly what most people could have distributed for an electronic book to get some bucks on their own, and in particular considering the fact that you might well have done it if you ever decided. These basics additionally served to provide a fantastic way to fully grasp some people have the same dream the same as my personal own to realize much more when considering this matter. Certainly there are lots of more fun situations ahead for individuals that discover your site.

42. Hey this is somewhat of off topic but I was wondering if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML. I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding expertise so I wanted to get guidance from someone with experience. Any help would be enormously appreciated!

43. Hartung auto auction begins; biggest sale tops $200k.Some of the most rare state license plates sold in lots for five figures. A set of vintage Kansas plates sold for $26,000, while New Mexico plates fetched $29,900.

44. The big Hartung car givaway ends; biggest sale tops 200,000.Some of the most rare state license plates sold in lots for five figures. A set of classic South Dakota plates sold for $26,000, while Wisconsin plates fetched $29,900.

45. loans says:

It’s actually a nice and helpful piece of information. I’m glad that you just shared this useful information with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

46. Usually I don’t learn post on blogs, but I would like to say that this write-up very compelled me to take a look at and do so! Your writing style has been amazed me. Thanks, very nice post.

47. Great post. I have a website too. Its main topic is online cash advance loans. Check it out if you want money, bro ;)

48. When I initially left a comment I appear to have clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now every time a comment is added I receive four emails with the same comment. Is there a means you are able to remove me from that service? Appreciate it!

49. I’m impressed, I have to admit. Rarely do I encounter a blog that’s equally educative and interesting, and let me tell you, you’ve hit the nail on the head. The issue is something that not enough men and women are speaking intelligently about. Now i’m very happy that I found this during my hunt for something concerning this.

50. Spot on with this write-up, I really feel this website needs far more attention. I’ll probably be returning to read more, thanks for the advice!