Hobbies and Hobbyists

I have fewer hobbies now than I did when I was young.

Granted, growing up I was into everything. I played music, I painted, I roleplayed, I designed RC zeppelins (though they never got built), I built models, I launched rockets, I’d go biking, hiking, rafting, I collected dice (still do actually), hell I even sang. And of course I read a lot. But nowadays I find myself not doing much outside of drawing. When I do find some time away from the sketch pads and wacoms I manage to read and I climb rocks. Well, fiberglass ones anyhow. I kind of miss some of my old hobbies.

Sadly all of the people that would be interested in roleplaying are at considerable distance. I haven’t seen my bike in god knows how many years, and it probably wouldn’t fit anymore. Model rockets are so niche as to barely exist anymore. The models have changed in a decade and the same can be said for the plastic model selection. Mostly cars anyhow, and there’s only so many f-16s you can build before you get a touch bored.

I did manage to lay my hands on basically the complete collection of Starship Troopers miniatures. I didn’t even know they made such a thing. Like every geek, I’m sure, I tried getting into miniatures back in highschool, but I actually found Warhammer 40k to be a touch boring and frightfully expensive, though I did like the massive Tyranid swarms. Recently I discovered a miniatures game called Warmachine, which it turns out I’ve been enjoying the production and concept art for years. I’m told it’s a good game, but honestly I think I’d have a lot more fun putting together a 1/16th scale model of one of the warjacks rather than building an army of the miniatures.

Maybe there just aren’t hobbies in the world anymore. Not like they used to be. It seems like for most people, spare time enjoyment is keeping intouch through the facebooks and twitters or keeping up on celebrity gossip. None of these are necessarily bad pastimes, but as a hobbyist it doesn’t seem terribly hobby like.

In totally unrelated news a friend of mine informed me that The KGB is both aware of Finder’s and loves Cailyn. This made me absurdly happy. So thank you KGB, you guys are officially awesome.

Also my fortune cookie reads: “You will be successful in everything.” Best fortune, ever.

24 Responses to “Hobbies and Hobbyists”

1. Milliarde says:

My dad builds RC airplanes, i’m sure that counts as a thriving hobby. god knows my uncles and grandfather are all into it, as well. And my dad is constantly having me look through is website and make the word content flow more easily. Try that, maybe?

In other news… Good God, man, today’s strip made me giggle like a gremin! Well played!

2. Cindy says:

Funny, I seem to be a bit the other way around from you. I don’t draw as much as I used to, I still do, just not at every opportunity. And I still read more books than should be legal. But I’ve fallen into some more hands on hobbies myself. Particularly my doll
    (yet I still seem to be a tomboy), and all the stuff I make for her. In the past year, I’ve gotten fairly adept at the sewing machine (used to only be able to hand sew), I’m thinking of making my own halloween costume this year.

I remember reading you’re in VA, though I can’t remember where. If you’re near Richmond, there’s some good areas for bouldering and some climbing on the supports (though I don’t know how legal it is) around the Bele Isle power plant ruins on the James. There’s also the Natural Bridge park which used to have some climbing areas. I’d love to go to Peak’s more then the few time’s I’ve gone, but it’s hard to disconnect my friends from their machines. ‘Cept my best friend, but he’s got to be part-ape and likes climbing into less then legal or safe areas.

3. FupDuckTV says:

I feel that I know what you going through. Getting older seems to mean a sacrafice of certain hobbies. I recently have been trying to strike out and retake many of my old hobbies. You and I are about 90% matching for those hobbies you listed, including your take on WH40K and the Tyranids (cool, but expensive).

I think working as an artist is cool. Getting paid to do your hobby, but what happens when the grind of your hobby/job starts to ruin the fun of why you did it in the first place? I’d encourage you to find the fun in your hobby/job again, otherwise you’ll wind up an accountant or something boring like that.

Love Finder’s…. keep em coming. OBTW, hitting any cons in the near future? Ever get to Ohio?

4. Leslie says:

It’s funny, you blogging about how hobbies are fading. Depressing, really, but I do see your point and feel your pain. All my RP buddies are off getting married, living at least an hour away–and all those are just RPers. Our DM is over five hours away and none of us are over eager to DM our…special…group.
    But I also find it funny, because I work in one of the myriad of arts-and-crafts type stores. I have been there for almost two years and have been watching as a number of sections dwindle sadly. When I started, pinewood derby cars [boyscout style] were year on round display. Now they are annual, briefly so. Our model section is filled with snaprite plastic poo, and don’t even get our angry customers starting on the fact that we don’t have macrame stuff.
    Not to badmouth the internet [which I actually do on a regular basis because I am a cranky old person nine times out of ten], but it would seem that a lot of people throw themselves into their time online to the exclusion of things like hobbies or face-to-face time. I know, even for me, it is all to easy to bum around here reading the works of far more talented people [yourself well included]. Then again, I also have a full-time job in a craft store, so I like to get away from a lot of “hobbies.”
    All that to say not much, but your work is amazing. And rockclimbing is beyond awesome. Keep both up.
    [And I'm impressed at your fortune cookie being a fortune--mine are usually self-esteem cookies, or observation of status cookies. "People enjoy spending time with you." "You need to try harder."]
    [Damn cookies.]

5. Pauline says:

I still find random new things to try out. My other half got me into a miniature game call heroclix. But i find by the time I get home from work I don’t want to do many of the thing I loved and I fell the there lost in my life. Maybe when I’m old and gray I’ll have the time for all the little hobbies.
    And I have the best fortune cookie every “no fortune find, abort, try again.” hehe.

6. IF your near Connecticut, Every other week roleplaying, presently is Shadowrun 4th ed. E-mail either me or Blondie.

Kevin from “Caf-fiends”

7. kitsune says:

Obviously I need to eat more Chinese food. I missing out on all these awesome fortunes going around. Although, if you can, you should try getting your fortune (o-mikuji) at a Japanese shrine. They give you a general luckiness rating, then go on in detail about your education, love life, etc. It’s like reading your horoscope, only its just for you. Only thing is you have to be fluent in archaic Japanese to read them at lot of the time. x.x

8. Hey, good post! I will bookmark this one! Thanks

9. Acutus Hoth says:

good post. I will add it as favorite! Thanks

10. Excellent ideas on finding niche ideas, I’ve found using clickbank’s gravity can be a excellent reference to what individuals are buying about the net. You’ll be able to also uncover info on eBay.

11. I am glad someone was willing to sooner or later clear things up on this. I have thought about it many times before. :)

12. Awesome work! Keep posting good material.

13. Diabetes mellitus type 2 – formerly non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM) or adult-onset diabetes – is a metabolic disorder that is characterized by …

14. Korey Naegele says:

ndiparos, Paros, Naxos, Dhenoussa, Iraklia, Skhinoussa, Koufonisia and Amorgos; and the Southern Cyclades including the islands of Milos, Kimolos, Folegandros, Sikonos, Ios, Thira and Anafi.

The Dodecanese is a complex of over 163 islands and islets of which only 26 are inhabited. The islands form part of Greece’s eastern border with Turkey. The

15. Leesa Boulter says:

t as hands-on over employees, there is a tendency for them to overlook deficits and problematic attitudes. That could eventually become detrimental to the company since culture spreads on and takes root. Whatos even more disturbing would be the possibility that they knowingly or unknowingly reward bad conducts with bonuses and promotions. That could send a

16. Cyrus Gargis says:

nd you will succeed. Have fun with it! That is truly what will make you a success!Three Affiliate Marketing Tips For Beginners路 Write about something you know. It is really going to be easier for you to write content that is based on your knowledge and interests. If you work on a topic you barely know, updating your affiliate site can really be a pain i

17. Otis Domek says:

ng out online. If you want to survive and thrive, you need to be aware of all your interactions with your market, not just those that happen within your own front door
    br />omplete web monitoring isn聮t just about watching your own website. It is about watching every website that can affect your business. Those sites may belong to you, or to someone els

18. Warren Hoxworth says:

istical impossibility. And because it would be exceedingly difficult for any college team to make an 8, 10, 12 or 16-team field with more than two losses — or even with only two losses, in an 8 or 10-team field —the gap between the top of the bracket and the bottom would be a) Negligible, and b) Easily closed if the team on the bottom actually won the tour

19. Good post. I study something more difficult on completely different blogs everyday. It would at all times be stimulating to learn content from different writers and apply a little bit something from their store. I抎 want to make use of some with the content on my weblog whether or not you don抰 mind. Natually I抣l offer you a link on your net blog. Thanks for sharing.

20. Satisfy dressmaker in addition to the woman’s fresh husband Jordan, who hitched about the sixth of September this season within an outside wedding, and then products and also online games plus a night time beneath Hugo Boss. I merely adore exactly how on virtually every picture Jess is actually possibly having a laugh in addition to cheerful in shape to help broke, or even wiping satisfied crying away- it’s and so splendid!

21. If you desire to increase your experience simply keep visiting this website and be updated with the latest news update posted here.|

22. Nice post. I was checking constantly this weblog and I am inspired! Extremely useful info particularly the last phase :) I take care of such information much. I was seeking this certain info for a long time. Thank you and good luck. |

23. I want to express my passion for your generosity supporting those people who absolutely need help with in this question. Your personal dedication to getting the message across had become particularly beneficial and has encouraged most people like me to reach their dreams. Your personal invaluable guidelines indicates a whole lot to me and additionally to my fellow workers. With thanks; from everyone of us.